Thursday, April 18, 2013

Jobs? Check Out the Public Library

If you're looking for a job, start by stepping into your local library.

Last year, I decided that telling the story of a good organization in ways that win it support is what I really like to do.  I'm good at it.  I'd like to make it my full-time job.  So, as many of you know, I am looking for a full-time job in nonprofit communications (or development & communications).

Job hunting is a job in itself.  It takes a special set of skills that you don't necessarily pick up in doing your regular job.  The last time I was on the market, I benefited greatly from career counseling by Ilene Rudman.  Since then, social media have grown like the daffodils in my front yard, and LinkedIn has been an especially useful tool for me.

If I were just starting out today, however, I'd go straight to Ellen Jacobs at the Somerville Public Library for a tutorial in the LearningExpress Job & Career Accelerator.  There are classes this Saturday and next Tuesday and Thursday. Call 617-623-5000 x2955 or email raugarten@minlib.ne to register.

The Accelerator software lets you:
  1. Match yourself with occupations that best fit your interests.
  2. Explore what it takes to do those occupations, what they typically pay, and how many jobs are available in Massachusetts in each of your fields of interest.
  3. Find job listings, collected from a wide variety of sources so you can do one-stop shopping.
  4. Write resumes and cover letters, store them online, and then use them to apply for the jobs you find.
  5. Take online tutorials to improve your skills: both the interview skills you need to land the job and the particular knowledge you need actually to do the job.
It's perfect for people who are just getting started on their job hunt, or who have held the same job for a long time and are new to today's job market.  I plan to use it to double-check for jobs that I might have missed elsewhere...and that Photoshop tutorial sounds just right for me!

No comments: