Sunday, March 31, 2013

Cry of the Giraffe, by Judie Oron: a review

Wuditu, an Ethiopian Jewish girl, has her life disrupted by war and anti-Jewish violence in her home country. She and her family are separated on their escape to Israel.  She has to survive on her own, a teenager hiding her true identity, for years before she can rejoin them.

The book is written in a simple, straightforward manner that's suitable for young adults, but it contains fairly graphic scenes of violence and sexual assault, so judge accordingly.

I knew very little about this part of Jewish history and culture before reading the book, despite the fact that my cousin works for Yahel, an Israeli organization serving the Ethiopian Jewish community.  I'm glad I read it, and I will certainly learn more.

No comments: